Okay so I put a question mark on the title because I'm not sure if I want to make that bold of a statement...but I'm leaving it there! So most of you have probably heard about Osama Bin Laden being killed by US Special Ops (I think it was the Seals to be exact). So normally I'd be all excited and jumping up and down since I'm a proud American and proud army wife, retired. BUT I'm not excited at all. I have barely heard anything about the devastation in the South from the tornadoes and flooding, or even how the death toll was over 300 last I checked. Yes I think we need to talk about this exciting news for our country, but why doesn't the media say something about all this devastation in our own country? All I've heard all over facebook and the news for the last 2 weeks is about the...dare I say it...stupid royal wedding. I could care less about Prince William and Princess Catherine. All the news stations and facebook games made a huge deal out of the Tsunami in Japan, the earthquake in Haiti...but nobody wants to deal with the problems we have in our own country. I think we need to step it up as Americans and worry about what's happening here before we raise millions/billions of dollars to send aid to these other countries. Do people ever think about raising millions of dollars to feed starving children...or to help rebuild the south from hurricane Katrina or now the tornadoes that devastated an already injured south? Ugh I'm just disappointed that nobody wants to help our own people. Maybe it's because I'm a social worker, but I think we need to put some of this effort towards rebuilding our own country before we increase our debt to help everyone else.
End soap box now.
On a different note...I had my conference call with my teacher this morning about my paper. I have to find 5 additional sources and then fix my paper to reflect those sources. Downfall is that they have to come from social work journals or books. Upside is that she gave me some places to go look for some sources. I have to let her know by Wednesday when I will have it completed by...but we talked about having it done by the end of the weekend. So I have this to do this in addition to writing my paper for my practice class. I'm writing my practice paper on using group work with drug & alcohol treatment...think inpatient or outpatient rehab. Anyone want to help me find reliable sources for it??? :)
I have also decided to stop all of my medications for the next week to see how my body reacts without them. I'm tired of taking 10 pills a day (I'm guessing on the number, but it's probably right around there) and not knowing if they are helping me at all. So I have stopped taking Ambien, my muscle relaxer, my pills for my stomach (IBS problems), Nexium for my stomach and heartburn (twice a day), and I think that's it. I decided to continue taking my 2 allergy pills, my birth control (don't need any babies yet), my probiotic b/c it truly is helping my stomach, and my flinstone vitamins. Yesterday was day one without all those pills and it pretty much sucked. It took me 2 hours to fall asleep. When I was almost asleep my prima-donna of a Rottweiler threw up in his kennel (at 3 am) and threw a huge fit to get out. After 15 minutes of trying to get him settled again, he refused to go back in his kennel. I tried getting him to sleep in one of the other kennels...no go on that either. I ended up throwing in the white flag and allowing him to sleep in our room on the floor. He proceeded to attempt to get in bed with me (all 95lbs of him), then went over and woke up my husband, then threw a fit and started whining b/c the female boxer was sleeping on the blanket he likes. So my husband got up, made her move off the blanket so he could have it, then moved the blanket to his side of the bed....and sure enough the diva went to sleep. Damn dog!
Okay so now I'm going to go eat dinner and come back to the computer to spend another evening/late night doing research! Ahh somebody punch me now!
No comments:
Post a Comment